Friday, April 23, 2010

Lessons from Scattergories

As a fun, vocab-boosting activity, I decided to play Scattergories with a few of my classes this past week. For those unfamiliar, Scattergories is basically a list of different categories (i.e. vegetable, American city, movie title). For each round, players are given a letter and have to find a word for each listed category starting with that letter. The kids certainly enjoyed this activity, but I had no idea that it would turn into some of the most ridiculous classroom moments I’ve had yet. Here are the highlights:

The “B” Round:

-A beverage: the entire class says “beer.” They’re sophomores. One student also decided to follow up with “Blue Ice,” which he explained is a cocktail with ice and blue alcohol. Classy.

-Something that scares you: This one requires a bit of explanation. In French, the word for “darkness” is “le noir,” which literally means “the black.” As such, one girl replied to this category with, “I am scared by the black…like when I’m in my bed…(other students start to giggle)…no, not a human black!” Dear God.

The “S” Round:

-Something that is bad for you: sex.

-A movie title: I still haven’t figured out what the exact title of this movie was, but it sounded like the student said something along the lines of “Sex Intentions,” thus making me think along the lines of the French version of “Cruel Intentions.” When I asked the student to explain it he promised me it wasn’t a “sex movie” and was backed up by another girl in the class. If you say so…

The “M” Round:

-Something your parents would make you eat: marshmellows and marijuana. Luckily, I think both of these were just them writing words they knew. Otherwise, I may need to call a social worker, if those exist in France.

No comments:

Post a Comment