Wednesday, December 2, 2009

And Mozart turns over in his grave.

Last week I was working with a few groups of students new students, so I did the traditional “Introduce yourself to me” activities including but not limited to favorite activities, sports played, places you’ve visited, places you’d like to visit, movies, and types of music. After giving me their likes and dislikes, a group of two 19 year old boys I was working with were interested in what type of music I liked, so I told them that I liked a lot of different types of music: rock ‘n roll (classic and current), jazz, pop, hip hop, bluegrass, and classical, to name a few. They were right there with me until the last genre, after which one asked, “Oh, classical? Like Michael Jackson?” Close, but not quite. I think he just missed that era of music by a few years…

I may or may not have to take a day to teach these kids Music 101: Introduction to Classical Music. Hopefully they’ll know Michael Jackson from Mozart by the end of the year. Maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment